consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Re: GNU Consensus Manifesto -- Comments

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Re: GNU Consensus Manifesto -- Comments
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:17:42 +0100

On tor 10 jan 2013 19:20:11, Michael Rogers <address@hidden> wrote:
> Whenever a person adds a new contact, she generates a fresh keypair.
> The keypair is only used to establish a shared secret with the
> contact; then it's destroyed. The shared secret is used to derive
> symmetric encryption and authentication keys, which are rotated
> periodically to provide forward secrecy.

Hm, I guess I could read up on this, but how is somethig like a group chat
constructed if none of the participants have no knowledge of who is who in a
non-local namespace?

(I think OTR folks is struggling incredibly hard with getting this to work
somewhat properly?)

> Yes, I agree that Briar's a bit of an outlier among internet social
> software - not least because it doesn't require the internet. ;-) But
> I hope it will be interesting to explore points of overlap and
> non-overlap, even so.

Yes, the ideas may perhaps be well suited for, say, private messaging parts of
a protocol. When not even the servers should know contents of messages or
relations between contacts.