consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Re: GNU Consensus Manifesto -- Comments

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Re: GNU Consensus Manifesto -- Comments
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 02:27:45 +0100

09.01.2013 18:43 skrev Michael Rogers:
As I mentioned earlier, identity is handled differently in Briar than
in most social networking systems. There isn't a one-to-one mapping
between identities and people. Instead, people use nicknames with
local scope to refer to their contacts. For example, I may call my
mother "Mum", whereas her friend may call her "Jen" and use "Mum" to
refer to her own mother.

Surely there must be an identity with which a user can recognize (verify) that whatever response is received does in fact come from the user. (kind of like GPG having a global scope with the public key fingerprints)

Or is the system truly global-ID-less in such a way that for every new contact, an entirely new identity is generated (only in a local scope as you mentioned)? Meaning it is up to the two people making a connection to avoid possible collisions, kind of like GPG without any of the web-of-trust properties.

If the latter is the case, I believe Briar to be very hard to implement in an "internet social" sense, though I definitely see lots of use for it in other areas.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
http://blog.mmn-o.se/