classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Rewrite of JavaMail

From: Andrew Selkirk
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Rewrite of JavaMail
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:20:48 -0500

Hi,

I noticed that the entire javax implementation of java was rewritten.  Some
really good work went into the new code making it much more complete.

My concern is that everything was unecessarily overwritten instead of
integrating with the existing code base.  For example, some of the files
(like interfaces), except for some syntactic/style differences, are the same;
so why rewrite them?

Both Joey and I put a lot of work in there to bring it to where it was, and
it has all been thrown away, along with the recognition of that effort in the
authorship of those files.  I recognize that a lot of work went into this
rewrite and I congratulate the author on it as I understand the hard work
involved to achieve it.  I'm just concerned on the reasoning for such a
rewrite.

Andrew...