Re: bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 09:45:06 -0700

Stuart> Casey Marshall wrote:

>> That might turn out to be the longest 6 months ever, since Classpath
>> is still missing the badly-written web browser and HTML WYSIWYG
>> composer (javax.swing.text.html) :)

Stuart> There's no way to wrap Gecko, KHTML/WebCore or GtkHtml to
Stuart> perform this function?

That might be a good idea, even though it would go against my earlier
statement about pure-java reference implementations.

But, I don't think most people are interested in a Java reference
implementation of a web browser as much as they are the real core of
the language, and the engineering effort involved in creating one
would be monumental.

Stuart> WebCore might be the most promising because AIUI they replaced
Stuart> all the Qt dependencies with a toolkit-independent mechanism,
Stuart> which could then be implemented as Swing calls. Plus I'm
Stuart> pretty sure the upcoming release supports WYSIWYG editing...

Stuart> (Sure, any of these are likely to be far more powerful and
Stuart> conformant than Sun's implementations. But I'm not sure that
Stuart> being "too standards-compliant" can be considered a bug...)

JBoss developers might disagree with you...

--
Casey Marshall || address@hidden