bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores

From: Robert Schuster
Subject: bug 10491 was Re: More astonishing progress in japi scores
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 01:37:53 +0200

Hi

I've done the same comparison 6 weeks ago with Tom Tromey, and we were at 75% back then.

5 % in 6 weeks. 20 % to go. You do the math. :)

I am excited too but on the other hand I worry about a lot bugs popping up ...

Has anyone seen that one: http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=10491 I recently discovered it while writing some test files for the XMLDecoder I am working on. In an attempt to find the reason I followed to the C source that does the conversion (java_lang_Double.c) and its obvious to me that the code does not care about the special values: [+-]NaN, [+-]Infinity

After spending some time on ideas to fix this the following came to my mind:
a) do the NaN,Infinity in Java and the rest in C
b) do both in C because its faster
c) provide a pure Java and a pure C version, making JNode/... and real VMs equally happy

c) seems to be my favorite for an umbrella project like classpath but I dont know how I could make the two implementations optional.
Any ideas about this and my proposal?

cu
Robert