cjk-list

Re: [cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 14:54:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Thorsten,

Glad to hear it is all working find now. The tarball I put out there is a
complete set (if you remove all your old setup and start again) - but only the
*.pfb are important for you; the tfm's should be functionally the same as your
old ones, as is the c70nose.fd.

Yes, LaTeX's file look-up is a bit strange. It looks at the current directory
first - i.e where your latex input file is. Then there are a few trees, one for
personal temp files ( $TEXMFVAR ?) , personal permanent setups ($TEXMFHOME),
setup specific to your machine ($TEXMFLOCAL), then things from $TEXMFDIST etc.
theses are all described within a file "web2c/texmf.cnf" somewhere under your
texlive tree.

But within each part, look-up is simply disk-order, as far as I know. So you
cannot keep your old versions within the tree. In fact "nose" is not really a
good choice as it is too simple, as one of the texlive people may use it in the
future. For now it works. Hence my choice of "a0sh" "a1sh", etc. "ash" is not a
good choice either, but works okay for now.

You probably has a copy of c70nose.fd where your document.tex is. In fact
putting all the *.tfm files next to your document also works, but this is
certainly messy and not recommended. I don't think dvips allows the *.pfb's
next to the document.

Here are the two versions of subfonts.pe - as you can imagine, they are highly
specific to the font file and also font versions. Using the X-Regular script on
the X-Bold font should work, but if Google or Adobe releases new versions of
those fonts, you will need to run my python script to make these two scripts
new. These are correct for the 2017 April/May releases; if you decide to go for
the Sans versions, you probably should make them new also.

My python script for writing a new subfonts.pe does not take long to run. It is
just over a minute, (compared to about 27 minutes for fontforge later to write
the subfonts afterwards). It will be a lot faster on your hardware and probably
takes 20 seconds, since your hardware can do the later fontforge part in 1/4 of
my time.

Hin-Tak