[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: [cjk] The fixed-up script and the fixed Noto type 1 fonts.
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 04:26:27 -0400

Hi Hin-Tak,

first let me thank you for your great work!

Yesterday evening before I drove home from work I read your email. A
moment after reading 

"...to where it is looking for the tfm files and the pfb files and make
sure you are not look at your old ones, seeing as you have multiple

It struck me like lightning! I made a stupid mistake! Really stupid!
And nevertheless felt sure, that I had done everything right...!

Normally, when I replace the old version of some data by a new version,
I first put the old version into a newly generated subdirectory called
"old" in the same directory. So I did here with the *.pfb and *.tfm

When doing mktexlsr and updmap-sys those subdirectories with old
versions of course were visible to LaTeX and probably were in the list
before the new version -- so the new version never was used!

Unfortunately I only could proof that today. I just threw away the
"old" subdirectories, ran mktexlsr and updmap-sys again -- and now
everything works like a charm! Sorry for the additional work!

Please wait with generating both versions of the "subfonts-
corrected.pe"! When I have updated the second PC accordingly, I will go
on by downloading the Adobe version, using the regular (and bold) font
of that and build everything from scratch with your script. But as my
time in the moment is a bit limited, it will take me some days. So
please don't wonder, if I can't tell about success or not for a week or
even more...

At last one funny remark: For the the quick, lazy and dirty method of
just inserting your files I don't seem to need your file "c70nose.fd".
I even don't find an old version of that anywhere in my Windows
installation (I definitely have it in my Ubuntu version though, where I
used fontforge). So I didn't need to worry, whether LaTeX finds an
outdated version of that...

With many thanks

Am Dienstag, den 13.06.2017, 17:06 +0000 schrieb Hin-Tak Leung:
> Hi Thorsten,
> I downloaded the file and had a quicklook just in case I uploaded the
> wrong thing. It is fine. So I have no idea why it does not work for
> you. I can only suggest looking carefully at your latex log (i.e.
> sampl-nose.log, where you run latex), and your dvips log (that's come
> out to the console) to where it is looking for the tfm files and the
> pfb files and make sure you are not look at your old ones, seeing as
> you have multiple tries. oh, and where the "c70nose.fd" file is. That
> should also be seen in sample-nose.log; you want to use the one I
> included in the tar ball. Although it should be functionally the same
> as your own.
> Item 3 is a mistake, sorry. However, extra entries are not used so
> shouldn't be a problem.
> Item 6. "freetype-py" is the python wrapper around "libfreetype". I
> can generate both versions of the "subfonts-corrected.pe" if that
> helps. I'll suggest you try to get my tar ball working first though.
> The language unit is called "character" and the visual graphic unit
> is call "glyph". In this case, "missing character" and "missing
> glyph" are both fine.
> The difference between Noto CJK and Source CJK is quite small. Get
> one working, then you can think about switching :-).
> Hin-Tak
> --------------------------------------------
> On Tue, 13/6/17, Thorsten <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Hello Hin-Tak,
>  after some days being more or
>  less offline now I had a short time to go
>  online and test things.
>  1. I downloaded and unpacked the files from http://htl10.users.sf.ne
> t/f
>  ixed-nose.tar.bz2. for a first, quick test (I
>  hope to have more time
>  the next days). First
>  I tried to it under Windows, there I was told,
>  the file is corrupt. But repeating under Ubuntu
>  worked like a charm.
>  2.
>  Under Windows I put the *.pfb files into the appropriate
>  directory.
>  Still  chinese characters are
>  missing. Then I put the *.tfm files into
>  the
>  appropriate directory. Still  chinese characters are
>  missing. Then
>  I replaced my old nose.map
>  with your dvips-psfonts.map.add. I ran
>  mktexlsr and updmap-sys. Still  chinese
>  characters are missing. I
>  attach the last
>  generated PDF. For example in the second, third and
>  last line characters are missing (by the way:
>  Do you rather call them
>  characters or
>  signs?).
>  3. I noticed the
>  following: You sent me via http://htl10.users.sf.net/f
>  ixed-nose.tar.bz2  359 nose*.pfb and 359
>  nosex*.pfb files as well as
>  the same number
>  of *.tfm files. But in dvips-psfonts.map.add 417 *.pfb
>  files each are listed. Is that a discrepancy or
>  is it normal? 
>  Before I
>  leave for work now, a few additional notes:
>  4. Thank you for your hint,
>  that NotoCJK Serif and Adobe Source CJK
>  Serif are not quite the same! If I understand
>  you right, the Adobe
>  fonts seem to be the
>  more complete ones? So I should use them in
>  future?
>  5. I
>  feel the same as you about Noto-Medium being too thick.
>  The
>  chinese signs stick out of my text being
>  much darker in the moment.
>  When before
>  starting I looked at the font in a viewer, the signs
>  looked
>  thinner than the font Palatino I use
>  as my main font. I would have
>  changed that
>  already, had I not run into much bigger problems. Now
>  that
>  should be one of my next tasks...
>  ;-)))
>  6. For installing
>  freetype under Ubuntu it seems to be sufficient to
>  call
>  sudo
>  apt-get install libfreetype6
>  So I hope to be ready for doing more the next
>  days...
>  Thorsten
>  ---
>  Diese E-Mail wurde von AVG
>  auf Viren geprüft.
>  http://www.avg.com

Diese E-Mail wurde von AVG auf Viren geprüft.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]