Re: Installing Chicken 5.2.0 on Windows - chicken-install -update-db han

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: Installing Chicken 5.2.0 on Windows - chicken-install -update-db hanging
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:23:03 +0200

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 08:34:47PM +0100, Mark Fisher wrote:
> I've finally been able to get chicken installed and working, but I had to
> pretend to be cygwin.
> I think there's errors in the mingw-msys Makefile, or my assumptions about
> it are wrong.
> I would expect:
>   - "Makefile.mingw" to produce files for MingW64 in a windows cmd shell
>   - "Makefile.mingw-msys" to produce files for MingW64 in msys2 shells
> (bash etc with unix paths)
>   - "Makefile.cygwin" to require some kind of cygwin setup, which I don't
> have

Those assumptions are all correct.  Looking at your other mail, I think I
understand what might be going wrong here.

My guess is that you either tried to use PLATFORM=mingw from an msys
shell (i.e., msys2 bash), which would explain the error about XCOPY,
or you used PLATFORM=... with make, then aborted the compilation and
then switched to a different PLATFORM.  That won't work because the
PLATFORM is written into chicken-config.h.  So it may appear to work
because the build works fine, but the resulting binaries will have
settings wired into them that don't match the platform you're building
for.

Be sure to run the make from the type of shell you want to run the
resulting binaries from.  So mingw-msys from a bash prompt if you
want to use CHICKEN from msys' bash prompt, or plain mingw from a
Windows CMD prompt if you want to use CHICKEN from that.

Also, I think the platform auto-detection ought to work with 5.3.0,
so you don't even need to pass in PLATFORM.

> I found this site:
> https://github-wiki-see.page/m/accidentalrebel/rebel-game-engine/wiki/Building-and-running-the-engine-for-Windows-%28using-Msys2%29

This is really wrong and I have no idea who came up with this, but the
described actions are mixing up MSYS and Cygwin concepts.  The Makefiles
should be named correct and don't mix things up on the CHICKEN side,
but CHICKEN can't really prevent the user from mixing things up on
their side.

Cheers,
Peter