Installing Chicken 5.2.0 on Windows - chicken-install -update-db hanging

From: Mark Fisher
Subject: Installing Chicken 5.2.0 on Windows - chicken-install -update-db hanging
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:14:51 +0100

Hi all,

I'm on a new PC with windows 10 and thought I'd try getting a chicken environment up and running on MSYS2 MingGW-64.

I've installed a fresh copy of msys2 and mingw64 from the msys2 site, doing the pacman updates on top.

I've then followed the guide at http://wiki.call-cc.org/msys2 (except using 5.2.0 source instead) running under a MINGW64 terminal as advised.

The compilation works fine, but when I run the install phase, the "chicken-install -update-db" just hangs:

    cp -r chicken.tcp.import.so "C:/msys64/usr/local//lib/chicken/11"
    cp -r chicken.compiler.user-pass.import.so "C:/msys64/usr/local//lib/chicken/11"
    C:/msys64/usr/local//bin/chicken-install -update-db

I left it for an age, and checked if it was doing network activity, which it doesn't seem to be.

opening another window, csi seems to work, but I can't install any eggs, presumably because the chicken db is not being built.

    markj@teeny MINGW64 ~
    $ winpty csi -p '(+ 1 1)'
    2

    markj@teeny MINGW64 ~
    $ chicken-install -s srfi-18

    Error: extension or version not found: "srfi-18"

Any advice on getting chicken-install working, or how to work out why it's hanging?

Thanks,
Mark