Re: RAM usage of applications?

From: egarrulo
Subject: Re: RAM usage of applications?
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:02:39 +0100

Il 30/11/19 01:21, address@hidden ha scritto:
egarrulo <address@hidden> wrote:
Can anybody give me a *rough* idea of how much RAM a basic program
written in Chicken and transpiled to C could require at run-time? Some
megabytes, dozens of megabytes, etc.  With all features enabled, if
feasible.  Speed is not a concern.
What exactly do you mean by “all features enabled”?

I mean full support for every language feature. I guess that some language features - like "eval" and macros - may impact memory requirements significantly. Please note that I am not a Scheme programmer (yet).

The RAM usage is mostly determined by the program you need to write and
how you write it.
Sure, but there should be a lower limit, due to the runtime. For instance, a "Hello World" program compiled with SBCL (Common Lisp) can require dozens of megabytes. Anything else that the application does, will add to that.
I have many programs written in CHICKEN Scheme running on a 32bits ARM
machine with only 512 MB of RAM, they all take between a few hundreds of
KB and to a few tenths of MB.
That would fit my constraints.  Thank you.