Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 00:18:03 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:

Ow - harsh words. Ok... let me think... What I need:

- fully workable build (cmake/autotools) on Linux and OS X, both from
repo and tarball
 (doesn't work yet) - I can try to assist here

Linux appears to have a bug in CMake, not the build itself. I will wager that a workaround is pretty trivial, just shoving more dependencies in somewhere. But the bug, whatever it is, does need to be reported.

Who can test OS X?

I still need to figure out if eggs are working on Windows CMake builds. At last count they weren't.

Otherwise, in principle, this functionality is Done.

- tarball creation via cmake - including unsafe library files (precompiled) and csi/chicken-profile/chicken-setup/csc in precompiled form, since I want to
 work on making chicken more useful for cross-development; it also speeds
 up the build

Please see my longer post about the conflict of interest between Autoconf cross-compilation vs. CMake use-same-build-everywhere.

"Speeding up the build" is not a weighty factor compared to other issues like stability, uniformity, and extensive testing of always-used code paths. The CMake bootstrap is always going to be slower than the Autoconf build, because it is a two-stage bootstrap, and in that manner achieves more than the Autoconf build does. With CMake, I don't have to worry what kind of old compiler is used; with Autoconf, you do. I do not think it at all wise to short-circuite the two-stage bootstrap, even as an option, just so people can build things faster. Making people test the canonical build, by building it, is far more important.

I also have to ask what kind of slowness is observed and what build speedups are important. I'm developing on an 866 MHz Pentium III with 512 MB RAM running Windows 2000. A full build certainly gives me time to multitask, but it's a matter of tens of minutes, not hours. I haven't wall clock timed it; I'll make a formal note of it in the future. I will wager that on more recent hardware, build times are much quicker, but I could be mistaken as the speed of IO doesn't have to track increases in CPU power.

I would note that CMake is inherently faster than Autoconf for apples-to-apples tasks. Autoconf is a shell script driven dog.
- it should *always* be possible to do
 % ls
 main.scm chicken.h library.c runtime.c
 % cat main.scm
 (print "hello, world!")
 % csc -tx main.scm -uses library
 % gcc runtime.c library.c main.c -o main -lm  # or the Win32-equivalent
 This means, the base system without any bells and whistles is able
to be wrapped together with minimal external requirements and command-line magic (seems to work fine, but has to be kept in mind when thinking about
 generated headers or build-generated #define's)

Then I think this should be integrated as a formal build target, and regularly stress tested. Frankly I have always wondered why Chicken needs so much libchicken gobbledygoo to get rolling. If it really doesn't, how about a "chicken-small" target or some such? Or more poetically, a "chick" target?

- At some stage PCRE has to be built into chicken - but, to remove some
 pressure, I decided to do it later (after the next release); I
expect to be able
 to integrate this myself, though (I have to be, anyway)

Doesn't strike me as a big build issue at any rate.

I don't know of anything particular - it is also rather difficult to anticipate what a complete cmake-based build has to fulfill, since much is just taken
for granted currently.

Well, if that's the culture, then the only way is to kick it out the door and see what floats back. Billion dollar software empires have been built on this model, i.e. Microsoft, so we shouldn't be squeamish about it. All we can do is anticipate and test the things we can think of. Can't polish to perfection forever before releasing. We don't have that kind of manpower, and it wouldn't necessarily be wise even if we did.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every