Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:10:06 +0200

On 9/4/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Dependency on automake 1.9.6 isn't so good. I removed the check
>  for 1.9.6 and everything seems to work so far (using automake 1.8.3).

Why not good?  You prefer bugs in old build systems?  We don't have to
follow the bleeding edge, but 1.8.x is rather old.  We should be using
whatever is most recent and readily packaged.  That should be 1.9.x if
not 1.9.6.  Realize, automake is only for people creating distros, i.e.
you, me.  It has no effect on the end user, other than possibly
producing a more reliable ./configure script.

I don't care. That software-update race is annoying enough as it is.
1.8.3 works for me.

> - csi.c should be distributed as well.

Have you ever had a case of csi building but chicken not building?  If
that has happened, ok, I see your point.  If it has never happened, then
I don't see the point, as csi.c is readily built once chicken is built.
There isn't any silex in the build anymore, that's what csi used to be
needed for.  We could even distribute chicken-profile.c,
chicken-setup.c, etc. if you're really worried about it.  I mean, what's
special about csi.c compared to the others?

csi.c, chicken-profile.c, chicken-setup.c and csc.c will have to be
included in the distribution, since it simplifies cross-compilation.
Please be so kind to change the make/build files accordingly.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp