Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:48:08 -0700

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
felix winkelmann wrote:

csi.c, chicken-profile.c, chicken-setup.c and csc.c will have to be
included in the distribution, since it simplifies cross-compilation.
Please be so kind to change the make/build files accordingly.

Ok, distributing all of 'em makes more sense than distributing few of 'em. This is actually a substantial change to the build. Previously, the system was designed to build the minimum requirements for Chicken, then use the built Chicken to do the rest. So for tarballs, I'll need to put conditionals around the post-Chicken build rules, so that copies are used instead. These changes are easy enough for me to do. I'm just noting that it's a significant redesign, which is why it wasn't easy for you to do them yourself. I'll have them done shortly.

These changes are easy on the Autoconf side, because it is a one-stage bootstrap.

These changes are not as easy as I thought on the CMake side, because it is a two-stage bootstrap. It's doable, but it looks like a major file shuffling and a half-day's work, not the fairly easy 1/2 hour exercise I originally thought.

So, PLEASE STATE ANY FURTHER BUILD REQUIREMENTS NOW, if you can think of them. I will do the changes above, but I don't want a bunch of large surprise extra things I need to do, due to changing design requirements. Especially if those design requirements are "would be nice" instead of critical features. I'm serious about my lack of time for Chicken right now. My goal is to hit the milestone of a unified build and kick it out the door, so that real in-the-field use of CMake can start happening. I'm not interested in that project being delayed inevitably because oh this would be nice, and that, and then that....

In the future, I'm not willing to be put in the position of things getting added to the Autoconf build, then the CMake build has to chase Autoconf. The chasing has to go the other way around from now on. I have the expertise to make Autoconf changes now, so I'm not saying "people have to do things for me." I'm saying, design requirements need to consider CMake first, and not as an afterthought. I'm sure it'll take some time, Felix, before you understand both builds as well as I do. Meanwhile, I'll do what needs to be done, so long as things aren't just "dropped in my lap," so to speak.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every