Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] unified bootstrap
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:15:38 +0200

On 9/4/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
The CMake build can now generate a tarball that can be built both with
CMake and Autoconf, sans Chicken.  This is a major milestone!  Having
unified the distribution, it is the beginning of the official movement
away from Autoconf and towards CMake.  The CMake distro method is to be
the canonical way that Chicken is packaged up.

And now I hope it holds up to the scrutiny of others...

Very good, Brandon! A few comments:

- Dependency on automake 1.9.6 isn't so good. I removed the check
 for 1.9.6 and everything seems to work so far (using automake 1.8.3).
- csi.c should be distributed as well.
- autoconf support still will have to be maintained for the time being
 until CMake is more widely distributed and more mature[*].
- exec'ing autogen.sh fails on UNIX boxes, I changed the command
 to exec sh instead (passing autogen.sh as argument).

I have checked in some changes, perhaps you can check whether
I broke something regarding the cmake stuff.

Excellent work, BTW. This is great.

[*] CMake does funny things on linux, as I already reported to you
(I have to invoke "make" twice. I'm using the CVS version of CMake
and will try once more with the latest changes).

--
http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp