RE: [Axiom-developer] Help with JET

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Help with JET
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:55:24 -0500

Greg,

On February 13, 2006 10:31 AM you wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> > I was not aware that the order in which the pre-compiled modules
> > are listed could affect how they behave. Of course, for initial
> > compilation from source only certain orders are possible based
> > on the intermodule dependencies (at least there are no circular
> > dependencies here! :). But it seems like either a bug or a serious
> > design flaw in the way Axiom processes the )lib command that the
> > order here seems to matter. Do you agree that we should document
> > this "lib order dependency" as a bug/issue?
>
> I don't know, it could be due to initialisation code
> (see for example JetBundle.spad lines 565-573):

    -- some global constants
    nn:NNI := #IVar
    mm:NNI := #DVar
    nameX:V Sy := new(nn, first IVar)
    nameU:V Sy := new(mm, first DVar)
    for i in 2..nn repeat
      qsetelt!(nameX,i,qelt(IVar,i))
    for i in 2..mm repeat
      qsetelt!(nameU,i,qelt(DVar,i))

I think this code is ok. The purpose, I think is that the variables
'nameX' and 'nameU' become part of the representation (private data)
of each instance (member) of the JetBundle domain. Although the way
this is written seems a little awkward to me - I would have used
'construct' from 'Vector Symbol'.

I don't think this should be affected by the order in which the
library modules are listed.