Re: [Axiom-developer] non extending category

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] non extending category
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:54:49 -0500

> >> It would be even better to relate the code to the paper but that
> >> is probably too much for the beginning.
>
> > Yes, I think this would be a great idea. If/when we get this code
> > to compile, I think it would make a very good example of a literate
> > program as a paper. I wonder if we can get the original LaTeX code
> > for the paper from the author?
>
> I guess it would be hard to convince Werner Seiler to help with writing
> this literate program? If someone other than him does it then probably
> still he will get all the fame. I fear that this thought also applies to
> other pieces of code in Axiom.

I'd like someone (I'll do it if anyone knows Seiler's email) to ask
Werner if we could quote his technical paper as part of the documentation.
I have works in progress based on Trager's PhD thesis and Bronstein's
PhD thesis. Both of them gave permission to use the works. Clearly their
names belong on the literate programs. It is also clear that the thesis
is not structured to be a literate program and it contains material
that is not related to the domains being documented. Thus the thesis
material has to be rewritten or edited and there have to be words written
to connect the work to the code. Plus there is additional wording needed
to explain the design choices actually made in the code. These do not
appear in the thesis but are original words. So the literate program
author also gets listed.

For example, in the dhmatrix.spad.pamphlet literate program, the majority
of the words come from Richard Paul's PhD thesis but the rest of it
comes from my effort. Thus the 'credit' line reads: Richard Paul and
Timothy Daly.

If you work on a literate program you should put your name in the list
of credits.

Credit is easy to share and the official Axiom policy is that we give
credit if a contribution is made. If there are more than 5 people listed
as "authors" or the actual author is unknown then we use "the axiom team".

I originally credited everything to 'Bourbaki' but was told that this
is a trademark of a group of french mathematicians.

Werner should certainly appear first in the list of credits on any of
the literate program files that result from this work. We need to
document these programs and his words are the best source. But there
is still a significant amount of effort to make these files into
literate programs and the persons making that effort should share the
credit.

Tim