RE: [Axiom-developer] non extending category

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] non extending category
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:54:43 -0500

Cliff,

On February 10, 2006 10:29 AM you wrote:

> --- Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > Any idea what this means? What is a "non extending category"?
> >
> > Is it trying to say that JetBundleExpression is missing some
> > function definitions?
>
> That might be possible - this JET code was from the only available
> archive the author had and he didn't know how complete it was.  I
> figured since the dates matched up with the papers fairly well it
> would be close, but I might have been wrong.  Sorry, I should have
> mentioned that in the release email <turns red>.

No problem. It is good to have this code to play with anyway ... :)
At the very least the LUDecomposition function works great and it
is something that I have needed for a long time.

The dates on the SPAD code seem to be about 1993 - pretty ancient.
I can see from some of the coding style that this must have been
written before or during the transition to a newer version of the
SPAD language. Still, it should be possible to compile this without
runtime errors like we are seeing. :(

The Aldor code is newer - dated 1997. Unfortunately even Aldor has
moved on since then (we are using Aldor version 1.2 on the Axiom
Wiki). The two Aldor files provided with the JET archive do not
compile without errors :(, although I think in this case the
problems might be easier to fix. If I can't see where to go from
here with the SPAD code, I will probably try the replacement Aldor
code...

Anyone else want to help with this? :) See:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAldorJetBundle
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAldorSparse

I am not sure whether this is an Aldor issue as such or just an
Aldor/Axiom interface issue but one odd thing I see is the Aldor
compiler complaining about the rather trivial macro:

  Sy ==> Symbol

I don't understand this yet.

It seems suspicious to me that the part of JET that we are having
trouble with is one part that was apparently re-written in Aldor -
maybe there is a history of problems here...

One thing that seems to confirm this is on page 18 of the paper
where the author writes: "It was originally planned to provide
a special domain for polynomial equations, but there have been
very bizarre problems with AXIOM. For this reason JBE takes
currently the place of such a domain."