Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:05:04 +0200

As Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I've got still one STK500 with a 1.x firmware around, so I could
> compare them.

Read times (according to avrdude's progress bar + time display) to
read a full ATmega128:

stk500[v1]    41 s
stk500v2      15 s
jtag2fast     25 s
jtag2/USB     13 s

The first three measurements have been run across the same serial
line, the fourth is only included for comparision.

It's interesting that the JTAG code (that uses larger block reads for
the actual packet payload) is slower than the STK500v2 code (that uses
single-byte reads).

I think I'd rather rename "jtag2" (the one with the ICE's default
speed of 19200 Bd) into "jtag2slow", and "jtag2fast" into "jtag2", so
people will by default use the 115200 Bd connection.

Btw., the latest code causes a lot of singnedness warnings here.