Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: WinAVR
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:37:44 +0200

Brian Dean wrote:

Note that I did not see any improvement in programming time, however.

My simple test with a 20K program file using an AVRISP reporting
itself as firmware revision 2.1 takes 55 seconds to program.  If I
recall, this is about 3 times as long as the Version 1 protocol.

I've just flashed an atmega64 with a 51602 bytes flash file + 2k eeprom + set the fuses.
Everything was wrote/verified. I use the linux 'time' command and got:

real 0m43.811s
user 0m0.073
sys 0m0.290s

I wonder if, when upgrading an isp or stk500 from v1 to v2, the upgrade software puts the internal clock to a very low speed. Also I've noticed on v1 that if cable that runs from the isp to the target is in a bad condition, then the transfert to the target would slow.

 Bernard