[avr-gcc-list] Porting Atmel patches

From: Adam Seychell
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Porting Atmel patches
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:18:00 +1100

Hi

I have joined this list to get help with port 8bit AVR patches disributed with Atmel's AVR toolchain to the current official GCC, and binutils. As you may be aware, Atmel have separated development from the official gcc, binutils and avr-libc projects. I am new making contributions to FSF and so I am initially interested the procedures involved.

I understand to match the full list of devices supported by Atmel's toolchain requires contributions to all three FSF projects: gcc, binutils, and avr-libc. Atmel have done most the work by supplying patches and device header files. However the patches may not be applied to the development releases of the official projects because the patches are made for gcc-4.6.2, binutils 2.22 and avr-libc 1.8.0. The Atmel patches are available from the downloadable toolchain:

http://www.atmel.com/Images/avr-toolchain-installer-3.4.1.1195-win32.win32.x86.exe

I have managed to apply the patches to the official binutils 2.22 and avr-libc 1.8.0 and successfully build them on my cygwin system. The gcc-4.6.2 patches from Atmel will not work on current gcc-4.7.2 as the code structure for device definitions has changed. However I managed to extract devices information contained in Atmel patches (with help of a small perl script) and integrate them to gcc 4.7.2. This only involved modifying two files in gcc-4.7.2 source:
gcc/config/avr-devices.c
gcc/config/avr-mcus.def

Now that I have successfully built gcc, binutils and avr-libc supporting all AVR devices offered by Atmel, would it be worth my while trying to submitting these changes to the official releases ?

Adam Seychell