[avr-gcc-list] >4.5.1 better than this at register-structure (xmega) acc

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] >4.5.1 better than this at register-structure (xmega) access?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:13:12 -0700

Something I've found and would like to get dealt with is the fact that avr-gcc 4.5.1 doesn't seem to properly comprehend the Xmega structures in avr-libc when it comes to efficiently loading and saving them. It uses a pattern of loading the struct address into an address-register pair, then using offset load/store. Sometimes I've even seen it waste *four* registers loading the struct address and adding a 16-bit offset before doing a full indirect load/store. However, if I use the _ versions of the register definitions it does the efficient thing and lets the compiler calculate the address directly resulting in a single instruction:

void structwrite(uint8_t v) {
  TCC0.CTRLE = v;
 a6c:   e0 e0           ldi     r30, 0x00       ; 0
 a6e:   f8 e0           ldi     r31, 0x08       ; 8
 a70:   84 83           std     Z+4, r24        ; 0x04
}
 a72:   08 95           ret

void straightwrite(uint8_t v) {
  TCC0_CTRLE = v;
 a74:   80 93 04 08     sts     0x0804, r24
}
 a78:   08 95           ret

(and yes, I see this behavior *everywhere* I look, not just in simple examples like this)

This is a royal pain when I have my hardware-description header full of things like:

#define MILLISECOND_TIMER       TCC0

and code that wants to *consistently and quickly* access any arbitrary (but static at compile-time) member of that peripheral's structure. Instead I'm having to make a complete mess of my header with:

#define MILLISECOND_TIMER_CCA   TCC0_CCA

rather than just using MILLISECOND_TIMER.CCA and being done with it.

So, my question is: is this fixed in a newer version of the compiler, and thus worth my time to try to a) find all the patches, b) update my own patches for the various -U xmega chips, and c) compile the whole lot? Or, is this problem still present?