Re: [avr-gcc-list] regression in size from 4.2.2 to 4.5.0

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] regression in size from 4.2.2 to 4.5.0
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 09:17:32 -0400

>> Is there any way to apply the switches on a per source file basis?
>
> Yes, it's called "using a Makefile". ;-)

Eric, my Makefile builds four concurrent models, in to separate
object trees from a single source set, applies configuration
parameters to each model,
serializes each build, CRC's the output for power up memory
checks then inserts them in the hex output, concatenates the
bootloader, builds, converts to binary, and zips up all four
models into a single .zip file for use in my IrDA bootloader,
with a single 'make' command.

If there is a way to make the Makefile more complex, bring it on! :-)

Ponder this snippet for a quiz:
objects := $(patsubst %.txt,%.hex,$(wildcard *.txt))

"Turn Make Options into Tool Flags" from
http://www.linuxjournal.com/print/1007262
with some modifications to eliminate the usages of #ifdefs, might
be useful to many here.

I see from Rolf's subsequent example what I wanted to know.