[avr-gcc-list] RE: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register t

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] RE: [Bug target/31786] error: unable to find a register to spill in class 'BASE_POINTER_REGS'
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:57:45 +0200

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 09:24 -0600, Eric Weddington wrote:

> [...]

Seems to me as if -O2 is not reliable on the avr ...

> > > However, as a workaround only, is there some reason why
> > RTEMS cannot use
> > > avr-libc for the AVR?
> > Yes,
> > * RTEMS shares newlib between many targets
> > * RTEMS implements parts of the OS in newlib (RTEMS is pretty tied to
> > newlib)
>
> Hmm. I wasn't aware of this part. How are parts of the OS implemented in
> newlib?

Well, newlib implements a lot of what RTEMS uses, e.g. printf, string
ops and other functions. I.e. "OS in newlib" has not been 100% correct,
but "RTEMS and newlib are pretty much woven" would have matched better

It not unlike to what Cygwin does, it uses newlib, but adds parts
underneath and ontop of newlib.

> > * Licensing. GPL or LGPL is not acceptable for us (we want a more
> > liberal license).
>
> Then you must not have taken a close look at avr-libc: It's the BSD license.
True, it's a while since I looked into it ... the version I have around
(1.0.4) contains GPL'ed code ;)

Ralf