Re: project in multiply directories

From: Allan Clark
Subject: Re: project in multiply directories
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:27:39 +0100

On Sep 28, 2009, at 12:04, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:

  There is an article called "recursive make considered harmful".
  According to it, you should have just one Makefile.am in top level
  with all the rules (all libs etc). By this, make can show its
  strengths best. Often, a Makefile.am "per directory" seems to be
  used, but for a new project today this should be avoided.  It just
  slows things down and leads to unneeded compiler calls.

I'm sorry, but where on earth did you get this terrible information?

A Makefile.am per directory is precisly what should be used, it
doesn't incure any extra compiler calls.  It also makes it easy to
build seperate parts of the tree.

There is an existing paper about this argument. This is exactly addressed in the automake documentation, and automake supports that single-directory method if you so choose. I can find the reference for you in a few hours.

I do note that this is the autoconf list, not automake. I don't see a crosspost.

Allan