Re: project in multiply directories

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: project in multiply directories
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:48:40 -0400

   >   There is an article called "recursive make considered harmful".
   >   According to it, you should have just one Makefile.am in top
   >   level with all the rules (all libs etc). By this, make can show
   >   its strengths best. Often, a Makefile.am "per directory" seems
   >   to be used, but for a new project today this should be avoided.
   >   It just slows things down and leads to unneeded compiler calls.
   >
   > I'm sorry, but where on earth did you get this terrible
   > information?
   >
   > A Makefile.am per directory is precisly what should be used, it
   > doesn't incure any extra compiler calls.  It also makes it easy
   > to build seperate parts of the tree.

   There is an existing paper about this argument. This is exactly
   addressed in the automake documentation, and automake supports that
   single-directory method if you so choose. I can find the reference
   for you in a few hours.

I was not addressing Peter Millers paper, which is an excellent read.
What was being addressed was your claim that a Makefile.am per
directory should be avoided, which is simply not true.