audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] Re: Please Help - Online Video

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] Re: Please Help - Online Video
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:36:10 -0500

Shane <address@hidden> writes:

>> We need more information.  Can the applet on a 100% free Java platform
>> in a free browser?  If so, it is an acceptable player and good to
>> recommend.
>>

> Can someone give this a try for me and tell me if it works?  My only
> GNU/Linux box available currently has no graphical interface installed.
>
> http://www.chtlj.org/video/stallman.html

It works on one of my machines but not the other, both using only free
software. It's probably because I have a newer version of the free
software java runtime environment Iced Tea
(http://icedtea.classpath.org) on the newer machine. I get the same
results looking at the demo Ogg videos on the cortado home page, so I
don't think it's anything you're doing wrong.

If I download the video, it plays fine on both machines.

By the way, I think that probably a lot of your viewers will be happy to
learn about VLC. It's nice software. I'm not sure if you've been
referred to http://playogg.org yet, but those instructions might be
helpful to point people toward.

So, maybe using cortado with also:

1) a prominent download link for the video + download link for VLC (like
playogg.org, or directly to the VLC homepage)
2) A link to http://icedtea.classpath.org referring GNU/Linux users there

Thanks for working on this.

--
John Sullivan