audio-video

[Audio-video] Re: Please Help - Online Video

From: Shane
Subject: [Audio-video] Re: Please Help - Online Video
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:43:09 -0800

     First of all, I'm not sure if it is free software or
   just open source.  Honestly I don't know how to tell the difference.

You find all the license(s) its source code uses, and look them up in
http://gnu.org/license-list.html to see if they are all free software
licenses.

From the Cortado Website (http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/): "In order to make your streams as widely available as possible, we provide the Cortado Java applet as free software under the GPL."

It seems to me that this is an acceptable player.

Actually my rewuirement is that you use Ogg Theora format for video.

We want everyone to install an Ogg player.

I have encoded the video in Ogg Theora format.  Unfortunately, I feel that it is clumsy to force a user to download a video, then download software and install that software in order to play that video when people are used to just watching a video in their browser.  I think the best option is to show the video within the browser with Cortado if I can get it to work) and then also allow people a second option to download both the video and player separately.

The reason?  It reflects poorly on my organization when we cannot offer the users the same experience they are used to having elsewhere.  I'd rather not post it if the user experience is going to be crap.  I've spent about 20 hours on this single video, and I'm getting tired of failure.  So if anyone has time to help me get Cortado working, I'd really appreciate it.

If anyone wants to see what the Cortado experience is like so far, here's the URL:
http://www.chtlj.org/video/stallman.html

If you want to download the ogg file directly, here's the URL:
http://www.chtlj.org/video/stallman.ogg

If you want to point a player to the ogg file for a progressive download, here's the URL:
http://www.chtlj.org/video/stallman.m4u
(I set the m4u mime type on my server to ogg)

Shane