Re: [AUCTeX] First try at the Biber support merge

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] First try at the Biber support merge
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:30:31 +0200

Ken Brown <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ken,

>> This feature is in fact broken in the current (unpatched) CVS
>> version, but it works with Philip's version and my patch against CVS
>> trunk.  It would be awesome if you could have a look at this.
>
> Since this is broken in the current (unpatched) CVS head, I would
> think the way to proceed would be to do a bisection between 11.86 and
> CVS head to see which commit broke it.

Whatever is easier: Comparing your and my patch, or bisecting.

> (I'm assuming that it works in 11.86.)  I tried to do this myself, but
> I ran into two problems.  First, I'm not proficient in using cvs, and
> I didn't know how to do the bisection.

Ditto, I haven't used CVS for anything except auctex, and here I didn't
have to use more than the usual update-edit-commit cycle.

> Everything I tried messed up my auctex checkout, and I had to keep
> restarting.

Probably, you've updated to some specific revision (-r, or -D given a
date).  In CVS, those options are sticky.  Once you've updated a file to
some specific revision a usual "cvs update" won't update that specific
file to the current HEAD.  In order to do that, you have to release all
stickiness using "cvs update -A" explicitly.

> Second, I found that the problem occurred in some of my tex files but
> not all.

Oh, that's interesting.  I don't have any tex file where it works.

> It would probably be good to have a minimal example in which it
> fails.

Here's one that fails for me.

The tex file:
\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

Just do C-x [ somewhere and you should be able to complete the keys
aucbrown12 and auchorn12.

\bibliographystyle{alpha}
\bibliography{foo}
\end{document}

The corresponding bib file:
@Article{aucbrown12,
  author =       {Ken Brown},
  title =        {Merging Biber support into AUCTeX},
  journal =      {The Emacs Journal},
  year =         {2012}
}

@InProceedings{auchorn12,
  author =       {Tassilo Horn},
  title =        {Bla bla about AUCTeX},
  year =         {2012}
}

> And can you give me a recipe for doing the bisection so that I don't
> have to study the cvs manual?

I think CVS has no support for bisection.  The best I can come up with
is to do it manually using a sequence of

  cvs update -D 2011-09-24
  # check if it works there

cycles, and once you know the date where the regression occured, check
the differences committed at that day with

  cvs diff -D 2011-12-11 2011-12-12

Bye,
Tassilo