[Adonthell-devel] Re: Win32 build progress

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Win32 build progress
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:18:26 -0700

On 9/3/06, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

So over the following days, I'd like to get gettext (and iconv, etc)
compiled to enable NLS, then try to build adonthell 0.4.

Well, gettext is installed and I got a build of v0.3 with NLS enabled.
I also managed to create the message catalogue files for the existing
translations, but that required some manual work, patching of
Makefiles, etc. Nothing I'd recommend anyone to repeat ;-).

I also got v0.4 compiled (fixing one or two bugs along the way) but I
still have problems linking some of the test programs and -- more
important -- creating the python module DLLs failed. I remember that
this was a bit tricky when I first tried to compile on OSX, so it
might be a few tweaks to the Makefiles to get it working. I'm
reluctant to do this, however, as I do not want to break the working
systems.

So right now, I see a couple of options:

* install newer version of libtool, in the hope that the problems are
fixed there. This is going to be a development version though (1.9) or
even the current one from CVS.
* track back, trash cygwin and start fresh with msys and mingw. It
might be harder to install first, but compiling stuff might actually
be simpler. It would definitely solve the cyg*.dll naming of libs I'm
experiencing (but might introduce other obstacles).

I've also installed the new NSIS installer generator from nullsoft and
a nice eclipse plugin that helps with generating the install script.
So I think I've got all the pieces for a 0.3.4 win32 release, just
need to puzzle them together and test stuff.