accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] A thought about a possible project

From: Daniel James
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] A thought about a possible project
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:16:48 +0100

Hi Jason,

> I also think HTML 5 accessibility is more important.

In future, I hope so, but right now we have public service and other
broadcasters (who have a policy to enable accessibility) using Flash and
h.264, not HTML5 and WebM (or Theora). Those broadcasters probably think
that having accessibility on Windows PCs satisfies that policy.

A possible leverage point is the smart phone market. If a substantial
market share of phones run GNU/Linux in future, then Flash accessibility
on those phones will become an issue. Even if HTML5 succeeds in
replacing Flash, there is likely to be plenty of Flash around on legacy
websites for years to come.

Cheers!

Daniel