yafray-devel

[Yafray-devel] Autosmoothed meshes

From: Arne Schmitz
Subject: [Yafray-devel] Autosmoothed meshes
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:08:40 +0200

I am working on a versatile global illumination renderer which at the moment
uses the Yafray XML language and the export facilities of blender, because
this is very convenient.

Right now I have been looking at the Yafray code for autosmoothed meshes, and
especially at the Yafray export module of blender. As far as I can see, a
blender mesh with autosmooth enabled will be exported as a couple of not
connected components. Since a Yafray triangle already stores 3 normal vectors
(for each vertex), I think this is not necessary and in my case it is even
very bad, since I need one connected component. I haven't had the time to
look into yafray's code in detail, but I think this would be easy to
implement. Right now I could only give some code snippets on how I do this in
my renderer.

Moreover the interpolated normal calculation and thus specular reflections and
refractions are not done correctly in yafray. The vertex normals should be
weighted with the acos of the angle of the incident triangles. Again, I do
not know, where Yafray does this, but I am willing to help, if someon tells
me where to look.

So long,

Arne

--