yafray-devel

Re: [Yafray-devel] Autosmoothed meshes

From: Alfredo de Greef
Subject: Re: [Yafray-devel] Autosmoothed meshes
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:02:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- Arne Schmitz <address@hidden>
wrote:

First, this mailing list is not really used anymore,
better to post in the yafray forums, more people might
comment there.

> Right now I have been looking at the Yafray code for
> autosmoothed meshes, and
> especially at the Yafray export module of blender.
> As far as I can see, a
> blender mesh with autosmooth enabled will be
> exported as a couple of not
> connected components. Since a Yafray triangle
> already stores 3 normal vectors
> (for each vertex), I think this is not necessary and
> in my case it is even
> very bad, since I need one connected component. I
> haven't had the time to
> look into yafray's code in detail, but I think this
> would be easy to
> implement. Right now I could only give some code
> snippets on how I do this in
> my renderer.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I suppose with
'component' you mean a triangle? Or something else?
All objects are just a list of vertices and the faces
are just a list of indices to the vertices.
As for vertex normals, I did rewrite that a while ago
to only store one vertex normal for the total smoothed
case, or none if no smoothing is needed.

> Moreover the interpolated normal calculation and
> thus specular reflections and
> refractions are not done correctly in yafray. The
> vertex normals should be
> weighted with the acos of the angle of the incident
> triangles. Again, I do
> not know, where Yafray does this, but I am willing
> to help, if someon tells
> me where to look.

incident triangles? Well, again, not sure what you're
referring to, but I suppose that has something to do
with shading? Then looking at the shader code might
help, specifically the fromLight() functions.

In any case, all this should go to Jandro, apparently
he has started the rewrite already. So maybe try
emailing him directly, if any changes have to be made,
the time is now to point out anything that
should/could be improved.

Alfredo

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs