Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 12:32:43 +0100

On Wed,  7 Nov 2018 02:44, address@hidden said:

> If there is a way to rearrage/omit the fields, in a user customizable
> way, I think that will meet the needs of the majority of users.

Okay.

> I am OK with migrating to GTK-3.  If this happens, my conservative
> proposal for the Savannah repository is as follows:

I agree to this proposal.  However, I have no immediate plans to do
that.  I have one other GTK+ project (GPA) which still uses GTK+-2 and
it still works nicely.  However, in case Linux distributions start to
drop Gtk+-2 we should be prepared to move on.

> Regarding your other email, kudos on implementing a configurable order
> of fields.  I'm wondering if this ordering is global (for all *.xlog
> files), or if it can be different for each log?

The ordering is currently global (in xlog.cfg) but I consider this more
as a default for new log files.  It might be useful to have profiles
which can be used for more than just field orders, for example a profile
with setting and special features useful for a certain contest.
Associating such profiles with a log file would also be very useful.  I
only wonder on how to put such meta data into the flog (?) log files
xlog works with.  Any ideas?

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner