Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] A few xlog patches
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 09:39:38 +0100

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 23:11, address@hidden said:

> I am interested in a tarball and a screenshot of the main window.

There are not many visible changes yet, give me some time to add
something useful.  I implemented a global contest flag which is
currently not in the preferences which allows to swicth between two
different sort order and will also be used to speed up entering a new
QSO.

Something different: I don't quite understand the design of the flog
format for logs.  Is it really needed to have fixed length fields?  I
can imagine a more compact format which could easily be detected and
used as an flog2 format, for example:

  NR:CALL:TIME:TXRST:RXRST:NAME:REMARK
  1:DD9JN:20181115T173701:59 348:59 001:Werner:
  2:KB1OIQ:20181115T173751:59 349:59 002:Any:xlog maintainer%0Asecond line:

fields are delimited by colons and percent escaping is used to quote the
colon and other characters (like the LF in the remark).  The percent
escaping would be very rarely used because % is not used in standard
QSOs.  This also means you can easily process such files like:

  awk -F: {print $2} | sort | uniq

to get a sorted list of call signs.  The names of the fields could also
be dropped and a standard order be defined.  Having empty fields would
be just a colon.  And well, the time format could also be changed to an
easy sortable one, like above.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner