Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a r

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a remote client?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:58:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010, Chris G wrote:

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 06:14:55PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Chris G wrote:

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 04:23:34PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Chris G wrote:

What's the simplest way to set the X resources for xvile running on a
remote client?

When running xvile on my desktop machine (i.e. both X client and
server are the same machine) it's easy as the resources are in my
..Xresources file and get read and loaded automatically.  However this
doesn't work with a remote client.

Do I need to make a copy of the .Xresources on the remote machine and
install and run xrdb there, or is there a simpler way?

I generally don't use xrdb, but set XAPPLRESDIR to point to my own
app-defaults directory.  For that case, I'd have a copy of the
directory
on the remote machine.

If xrdb is used, it pre-sets values which don't get overridden by the
app-defaults files (if they happen to have the same pattern).  Using
the environment variable, updates are as simple as updating the
resource file and restarting the program.

Thanks, but can you clarify a little.

I can set up a directory with the xvile resources in on the remote
client machine, that's easy.  What else do I need to do?  Do I just
set XAPPLRESDIR in the shell on the remote machine that's running
xvile or do I need to set it on the local server machine somewhere?

.... I've tried setting XAPPLRESDIR on the remote shell before calling
xvile, no effect at all (which is rather what I expected).

I do this, e.g.,
setenv XAPPLRESDIR ~/app-defaults

and in that directory, have the class-named files such as "XVile",
"XTerm", etc.

Just because it's Friday, I did double-check just now - setting the
resources up on the remote machine makes the change come out "here".

If it's not working, then I'd assume that your xrdb settings on the X
window (the server) are overriding the settings in the remote app-defaults
file.

Just to reiterate my desktop machine is 'chris' and is the X server,
I'm then doing 'ssh mws' (where mws is the name of a remote machine)
and then I'm running xvile on the machine mws with the display being
on my desktop X server.

On the remote shell where I'm running xvile the DISPLAY variable is
set to localhost:12.0 which makes xvile display on my local desktop, I
need some way to set xvile's resources for this display.

yes, that happens using ssh -X, etc.

Thanks for the full explanation, yes it could be xrdb is overriding
things. I'm just upgrading the whole system to Xubuntu 10.04 at the
moment, I'll try the above when it's all settled down.

that's worth a try (I was away, just got back)

fwiw, I've gotten a couple of bug reports that state in effect that the
KDE configuration is setting xterm resources.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net