Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a r

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a remote client?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 22:58:30 +0100

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 04:23:34PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Chris G wrote:
>
> >What's the simplest way to set the X resources for xvile running on a
> >remote client?
> >
> >When running xvile on my desktop machine (i.e. both X client and
> >server are the same machine) it's easy as the resources are in my
> >..Xresources file and get read and loaded automatically.  However this
> >doesn't work with a remote client.
> >
> >Do I need to make a copy of the .Xresources on the remote machine and
> >install and run xrdb there, or is there a simpler way?
>
> I generally don't use xrdb, but set XAPPLRESDIR to point to my own
> app-defaults directory.  For that case, I'd have a copy of the
> directory
> on the remote machine.
>
> If xrdb is used, it pre-sets values which don't get overridden by the
> app-defaults files (if they happen to have the same pattern).  Using
> the environment variable, updates are as simple as updating the
> resource file and restarting the program.

Thanks, but can you clarify a little.

I can set up a directory with the xvile resources in on the remote
client machine, that's easy.  What else do I need to do?  Do I just
set XAPPLRESDIR in the shell on the remote machine that's running
xvile or do I need to set it on the local server machine somewhere?

... I've tried setting XAPPLRESDIR on the remote shell before calling
xvile, no effect at all (which is rather what I expected).

Just to reiterate my desktop machine is 'chris' and is the X server,
I'm then doing 'ssh mws' (where mws is the name of a remote machine)
and then I'm running xvile on the machine mws with the display being
on my desktop X server.

On the remote shell where I'm running xvile the DISPLAY variable is
set to localhost:12.0 which makes xvile display on my local desktop, I
need some way to set xvile's resources for this display.

--
Chris Green