Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a r

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a remote client?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:23:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Chris G wrote:

What's the simplest way to set the X resources for xvile running on a
remote client?

When running xvile on my desktop machine (i.e. both X client and
server are the same machine) it's easy as the resources are in my
..Xresources file and get read and loaded automatically.  However this
doesn't work with a remote client.

Do I need to make a copy of the .Xresources on the remote machine and
install and run xrdb there, or is there a simpler way?

I generally don't use xrdb, but set XAPPLRESDIR to point to my own app-defaults directory. For that case, I'd have a copy of the directory
on the remote machine.

If xrdb is used, it pre-sets values which don't get overridden by the
app-defaults files (if they happen to have the same pattern).  Using
the environment variable, updates are as simple as updating the
resource file and restarting the program.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net