Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a r

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Simplest way to set X resources for xvile when running as a remote client?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:22:24 +0100

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:46:53AM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> > >.... I've tried setting XAPPLRESDIR on the remote shell before calling
> > >xvile, no effect at all (which is rather what I expected).
> >
> > I do this, e.g.,
> > setenv XAPPLRESDIR ~/app-defaults
> >
> > and in that directory, have the class-named files such as "XVile",
> > "XTerm", etc.
> >
> > Just because it's Friday, I did double-check just now - setting the
> > resources up on the remote machine makes the change come out "here".
> >
> > If it's not working, then I'd assume that your xrdb settings on
the X
> > window (the server) are overriding the settings in the remote app-defaults
> > file.

Hmmm, I've finally got back to this problem, I can't get XAPPLRESDIR
to do anything useful at all.

I've removed my .Xresources file so that xrdb doesn't automatically
load the resources.  (xrdb -q returns nothing about xvile, so that has
worked)

I've copied the Xvile resources to ~/.app-defaults/Xvile and I have
set XAPPLRESDIR to point to it:-

    export XAPPLRESDIR=~/.app-defaults/Xvile

I have checked by doing 'cat $XAPPLRESDIR/Xvile' and the resources appear.

This is all on my desktop machine and it doesn't work, xvile doesn't
pick up its resources this way.  If I do an 'xrdb $XAPPLRESDIR/Xvile'
then xvile gets its resources.

--
Chris Green