Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:36:19 +0100

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 07:46:29PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:36:12AM -0700, J. Chris Coppick wrote:
> >
> > Haven't looked at this in forever, so I had to check the source myself.  It
> > uses a UNIX socket, i.e. local, so no you can't point vileget at a different
> > host.  I suppose you could come up with an ssh command to launch vileget on
> > the remote host.
> >
> Yes, while I was going home the ssh approach occurred to me, it's easy
> enough to set up an ssh passwordless login between the two systems so
> I think that might well be a reasonable approach.

... and after a certain amoount of ranting and swearing at shell
scripts I have got it to work.  The basics were simple but I've ended
up with rather a complex collection of little scripts to get it to
work as I wanted.  The main issue was that to run from Continuus (our
CM system) I needed to capture the filename that was to be given to
vileget, non-trivial because it might be a local file or one in the
Continuus database.

Anyway it now works and I only need to have one working copy of
xvile which is on my desktop Fedora system and vileget on the Fedora
system can be called from any of the Solaris boxes.  Fortunately
just about all files I want to edit are visible from all systems.

--
Chris Green