Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?

From: J. Chris Coppick
Subject: Re: [vile] Just a thought - can one use vileget across a network?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 10:36:12 -0700

Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Chris G wrote:
>
>> Just a thought regarding my vile/perl/solaris problems.
>>
>> Would it be possible to use vileget (and the associated bits) across a
>> network connection?  I.e. can I run xvile on my Fedora box here and
>> fire filenames at it from the Solaris boxes?  I'm pretty sure the
>> Fedora box can see all the filesystems that the Solaris boxes can so
>> the files are available.
>
> Reading the script, it does sound as if that would work - it reads the
> connection information from an environment variable for $HOME/.vilesock
>
> (perhaps the connection is in some readable/standard form - I'm not home
> right now to see what that might be)

Haven't looked at this in forever, so I had to check the source myself.  It
uses a UNIX socket, i.e. local, so no you can't point vileget at a different
host.  I suppose you could come up with an ssh command to launch vileget on
the remote host.

You could hack Vileserv.pm to use inet sockets instead, but of course that
would raise *security* issues which at the time I preferred not to address.

   Chris