Re: [vile] A question about fonts in xvile

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] A question about fonts in xvile
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:58:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Chris G wrote:

Now that I'm using xvile mostly on modern Linux systems I'm wondering
if I can use some better to look at fonts.

What showed this up was the default gnome-terminal on Fedora 7 which
uses the "system fixed width font" as its default font and I have to
say it looks much better than what I'm using in xvile (and rxvt for
that matter).

So, is there anyy way I can get the saem selection of fonts in xvile
that I see in gnome-terminal (and firefox, and other applications)?
If so, how do I do it?

probably not - I expect they're using truetype fonts, which will require
a code-change to allow xvile to use them.  xterm does that...

Which of the many directories with font files in does xvile choose its
fonts from?  Then I can go and look in the fonts.dir file and see what
I could select.  Also is there any way to get xvile to 'see' more of
the system's available fonts?

It's using the bitmap fonts which are in your X server's fontpath.
The "xset" program is used to set/get the corresponding properties.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net