viewmail-info

Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:50:54 -0400

"John Hein" <address@hidden> writes:

>Uday Reddy wrote at 00:01 +0100 on Jun 15, 2012:
> > Lewis Perin writes:
> >
> > > By the way, the trace of my IMAP session does say this before I run
> > > into trouble:
> > >
> > > * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
> >
> > If it gets this far, then stunnel is unlikely to be the problem.
> >
> > So, where does it get into trouble?
>
>You can also skip vm & stunnel completely and use command
>line:
>
>openssl s_client -connect your.imapserver.com:993
>.. login address@hidden <yourpassword>
>.. list "" "*"

Well, that was interesting!  The openssl command got me the “* OK The
Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.” response I expected, but the
login request wasn’t even seen as a complete request until I appended
the -crlf option to the openssl command as suggested here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8682976/imap-connection-carriage-return-line-feed-issue-from-linux

And then the response to the login request was “login BAD Command
Error. 12”.  Not sure what that means.  As I said earlier in the thread,
my credentials get accepted by Exchange Server when submitted from my
iPhone.

I wonder, though, if the -crlf openssl option could be a clue to why vm
and Exchange aren’t happy with each other.  Is vm sending linefeeds only?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / address@hidden
http://babelcarp.org