Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:42:06 +0200

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:46:42PM +0200, Vincent van Adrighem wrote:
[..]
> > > 2) is not a big deal, but 1) is really tricky. Does anyone have a good
> > > idea?
> >
> > I think if you use  libgksu
> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libgksu1.2-0 in synaptic you can
> > start running synaptic as a user, (so you can get the user gnome proxy
> > settings) and then ask the root password
>
> That would be an option, but, for example, I use synaptic via sudo. That
> way I don't have to give the root password every time I start synaptic
> (which happens a lot). I don't know what happens if you use libgksu.

Libgksu does support sudo. I don't know about the details
though. Don't worry, I also use sudo for synaptic so sudo will not be
forgoten :)

> A hacky method is of course to check if there's a gconfd active.
> (Is there a way to check with which account you logged in (because a
> "su" isn't a login))?

It looks like "LOGNAME" and "USERNAME" are preserved after a su. But I
don't really want to depend on this. It's really a bit hacky :)

> YAO (yet another option) is the http_proxy environment variable which is
> used a lot. IIRC Debian uses this if you set a proxy during installation
> of the system. Don't know for sure though.

If http_proxy is set it is used.

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ