Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting

From: Vincent van Adrighem
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:46:42 +0200

First off: proxy settings are a very nice feature to have. Nice to see
that you're thinking about implementing this. Sounds very good.

Op ma 19-07-2004, om 11:30 schreef Jaap Haitsma:
> >> which
> >>
> >> Yes, this is a common feature request. It's actually not hard to
> >> implement, but I'm unsure about the user interface. What do you think
> >> about something like this:
> >> [ ] No proxy
> >> [ ] Use proxy settings from /etc/apt/apt.conf
> >> [ ] Use gnome proxy settings
> >> [ ] Manual proxy settings
> >
> > I hacked a prototype of my idea and I noticed that it's actually more
> > difficult than I expected at first.
> >
> > 1. synaptic needs to run as root. So if you set a proxy in gnome
> > settings under your normal user, gconf will not have those values
> > available for root.
> >
> > 2. I don't know how to get the values that gnome gets from the
> > autoconfiguration proxy method (manual method is no problem).
>
> Would be nice if autoconfiguration also worked, but I don't know
> how that works either
> >
> > 2) is not a big deal, but 1) is really tricky. Does anyone have a good
> > idea?
>
> I think if you use  libgksu
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libgksu1.2-0 in synaptic you can
> start running synaptic as a user, (so you can get the user gnome proxy
> settings) and then ask the root password

That would be an option, but, for example, I use synaptic via sudo. That
way I don't have to give the root password every time I start synaptic
(which happens a lot). I don't know what happens if you use libgksu.

A hacky method is of course to check if there's a gconfd active.
(Is there a way to check with which account you logged in (because a
"su" isn't a login))?

> Jaap

YAO (yet another option) is the http_proxy environment variable which is
used a lot. IIRC Debian uses this if you set a proxy during installation
of the system. Don't know for sure though.

Kind regards,
Vincent van Adrighem
--
Gpg-key: http://pki.surfnet.nl KeyID=0xF8D8C608