Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic Proxy setting
Date: 19 Jul 2004 01:29:39 +0200

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 02:31:25PM +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

sorry for my late reply.

> It would be nice if synaptic would respect the Gnome Proxy Setting which
> you can select under Desktop Preferences. Now I always have to change
> the proxy setting of synaptic depending if I'm at work or at home.
> The GNOME Proxy setting can handle automatic proxy settings and if it
> doesn't find these it assumes that the PC is connected directly to the
> internet

Yes, this is a common feature request. It's actually not hard to
implement, but I'm unsure about the user interface. What do you think
about something like this:
[ ] No proxy
[ ] Use proxy settings from /etc/apt/apt.conf
[ ] Use gnome proxy settings
[ ] Manual proxy settings

If no gconftool-2 is installed, I will gray out "use gnome proxy", if
no proxy option is set in apt.conf, I will do the same for "use
apt.conf proxy".

If no setting is found in the config file, I will set to "gnome" if
gconftool-2 is installed, or else to "no proxy".

The problem is that this may cause confusion on a system that has
gnome installed but does no longer use it and has old proxy settings.
OTOH this is easy enough to detect and to fix by changing the synaptic
setting so it shouldn't be a problem I guess.

What do you think?

bye,
 Michael