Re: [Synaptic-devel] [RFE] RPM group enhancement request

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] [RFE] RPM group enhancement request
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:11:40 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2003, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 May 2003, Dag Wieers wrote:
> >
> > > I have an apt repository and I noticed before that synaptic is very good
> > > to list those RPMs that have they're own group ;) (A wrong group).
> >
> > Heh, yes, the way Synaptic shows packages it really brings out those silly
> > typos in rpm groups :)
>
> Well, I had only 1 typo !! But the groups that Red Hat provides seems to
> be too limited to what I want ;/

Indeed - it quite often requires a bit of stretching of imagination to fit
a package in one of the "official" rpm groups.

> > > Now I've updated and rebuild all those packages so that they are in a
> > > proper group, but synaptic seems to use the group of the oldest package.
> > >
> > > It would seem better if synaptic would take the group of the newest
> > > (version) package as the definitive category to list the package in.
> > >
> > > At least that is what I would have expected ;)
> >
> > The attached patch makes synaptic use the group of candidate version
> > (which isn't necessarily the latest but the one that would get installed)
> > in the main view.
>
> Yes, that's even better. Actually I meant that but of course the latest
> doesn't always have to be the candidate.

Yup, I thought that's what you really meant (and it's easier to dig that
info out of libapt than the strictly newest version as well :)
Hmm.. can you verify the patch does work - for my test case it doesn't
seem to be doing anything afterall, the unpatched version shows the
correct info for updated package as well. But that might be just pure
luck...

> > There are actually quite a many places where synaptic shows information on
> > whatever it happens to be first in VersionList which isn't necessarily
> > correct, at least the following use "random" version for the information
> > (from rpackage.cc):
> > - section
> > - summary
> > - maintainer
> > - priority
> > - description
> >
> > Fixing would be quite trivial..
>
> Well, it would also be nice to have the URL (and install/build-date) in
> the package-information dialog. (And the URL should be clickable ;p)

Wouldn't be hard to add I guess.. maybe if I have time at some point (or
more likely someone beats me to it :)

> That's about the only remarks I have, synaptic is really nicely done.

It is, especially now with the new GTK2 frontend.

        - Panu -