Re: [Swftools-common] PDF2SWF Error: Couldn't create temporary font file

From: List_Subs
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] PDF2SWF Error: Couldn't create temporary font file (swftools 0.9.2)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:36:34 +0200

Thomas,

>On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 17:34:13 +0200
>address@hidden wrote:

> Why do I wish to run several processes of pdf2swf on the same file?
>
> In my app pdf2swf is used to creat very small thumbnail previews and
> higher resolution swfs for a pdf viewer, thats why i start pdf2swf
> twice on every new pdf input file.

Since swf is a vector graphic format, tell me, what is wrong with doing
the conversion once, then simply resizing the resulting file?  Would
that not be a much simpler and less resource instensive way of doing it?

> Meanwhile further tests revealed, that the error is not limited to
> processes working on the same file, it occurs always and reproduceable
> if pdf2swf processes are started and backgrounded nearly in parallel,
> even if they all work on different input pdfs.

I think you slightly missed the point I was trying to make.  That the
issue seems to exist with the creation of those temporary files, whatever
they be.  Several processes trying to create, write to, or oherwise
manipulate the same set of temporary files at the same time, is a recipe
for disaster.  That's not multitasking, that's just chaos!

> Such a scenario is likely to happen more often, as more app instances
> try to utilize pdf2swf, so imho this is a real issue to be solved.

IMVHO, I still think this issue is a direct result of what you trying
to do, and the way that you are doing it, not what pdf2swf is doing.
How about an example? ;o)

Regards,

Chris.