Updates on Swarm requirements

From: Li An
Subject: Updates on Swarm requirements
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:35:04 -0400

Hi,

I have Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Professional) installed in my PC and am considering to install the latest version of Swarm (Development Snapshot). Based on Dr. Johnson's Swarm On-Line FAQ (questions 2.3 and 2.7), I figured out that I may need the following setups:

(1) Paul says that "To use Java Swarm, You need to get rid of the RedHat Java rpms and install the Sun java tarball in /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0". But in FAQ, he says to choose between Kaffe and Blackdown. Does Kaffe (or) Blackdown belong to Sun java?

(2) Which compiler, jikes 0.47 or gcc-2.95.1, or both? Any newer versions?

(3) Emacs: is the Emacs built in Red Hat Linux 7.3 OK? Need to be put in my path or just keep it in where it is?

(4) tcl/tk: later than 8.04?

(5) BLT: later than 2.4g?

(6) Need a C Library Glibc-2.0 or 2.1?

If you know where to get the above items, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Best regards,

Li