Re: NT install problem

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: NT install problem
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 10:59:21 -0500

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> KR> Swarm has to be installed on the same drive as Windows. That
> KR> problem could occur, if you install SWARm on another harddrive/
> KR> partition than Windows.
>
> This is a persistent myth.  I guess it found its way into the FAQ
> because the very very first dot-zero release was this way.
>
> HOMEDRIVE reflects the the setting of the `home directory' of the
> current user.  The particular place this is set varies in NT 4.0 and
> W2K but look for Users settings in the control panel.  I suggest
> choosing a directory other than C:\ because when the Swarm terminal
> comes up that's the directory it selects; you'll tend to collect files
> there.  E.g. I use C:\mgd.

In defense of the FAQ maintainer, the comment about problems installing
on drives besides C refer to Swarm-2.0, when we were still using Cygwin
and these problems did indeed arise.  It is not in the section on
Swarm-2.1.x, and in the part for Swarm-2.1, it says you should declare a
HOME directory in the enviroment and the example uses drive d:\ for both
HOME and SWARMDIR.

Furthermore, in that same section, it says "If you are installing Swarm
on a single-user machine, it is easy as pie! Just execute (double-click
on) the swarm exe file and tell it where you want swarm installed. The
install program is highly sensitive to your system, it tries to find
where you have your HOME directory and lets you install Swarm wherever
you want, on
any hard disk. Previous difficulties have been eliminated. " (see
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#3.3)