Re: Strange screenshots problem

From: Ralf Stephan
Subject: Re: Strange screenshots problem
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:42:44 +0100

Erik Rauch:
> The original results were with olvwm (Open Look), and I tried with icewm
> with the same results. I attempted to tile the windows, but when they
> first appear they are overlapping, and after that the main raster display
> is immovable. It takes about 10 seconds for the windows to flash and the
> screenshot to save, so I'm able to get one screenshot every 10 seconds or
> so. I'm also getting the error message:

Ooh, 10 seconds is unusual.  With icewm on a P-200 Debian box
it's more about 1 second here, with this code and swarm-2000-08-24:

- (void) takeAPicture
{
        char filename[40];

        sprintf(filename, "pic%07ld.png", getCurrentTime());
  [[[[[[Pixmap createBegin: [self getZone]]
        setWidget: worldRaster]
       setDecorationsFlag: NO]
      createEnd] save: filename] drop];
}

> Is there a way to dump the raster directly rather than go through a window
> manager? (If not I have some old code that outputs gifs that could be used
> for this purpose).

Sometimes I wonder if the GIF/PNG-->MPEG route is the best /wrt
space.  Wouldn't it be nice to have MNG (differential PNG) for
those animations, I mean, it's just moving pixel blocks, most
of the time...

ralf
--
Ref.: this sig